Week 3 done…

Where has week 3 gone?

As mentioned in my previous post, this week we’ve started with the ruby web framework Sinatra. We’ve also finally started writing actual feature tests, using Capybara. So far all the feature tests were running a file with the methods of the programme¬†in PRY. Now I can specify on a website which button click and which text should appear, seems way more advanced ūüėõ

One important message from this week was: DO NOT USE GLOBAL VARIABLES. THEY’RE EVIL.

We had to promise to each other to not use them again, after this week. We’ve only used them in the beginning of the week before being¬†introduced to class methods, which¬†can do the same job, it seems like. (Memo to self: Need to work on my tech lingo to impress future employers…).

Another takeaway was: There is no such thing as a ‘page’ – it is way¬†more than that. Not just a simple, static HTML file with in-line CSS! That’s so¬†1999.

Lastly, for the weekend challenge, our task was to build a rock, paper, scissors game. I’m currently trying to deploy that to Heroku, which wasn’t part of the challenge but I want to show my game off to the family. Will share it here as well, as soon as I’ve figured out why my rake is being aborted ūüė°¬†!! Here is the link:¬†https://rockpaperscissors-anne.herokuapp.com.