Here’s my summary for my second week of the Precourse.
Usually I can do my current job from home, which means no commute and so I have more time for the Precourse. Unfortunately, I’d been having internet issues last week, so I had to go to the office but also doing the course work from home was a bit more tricky (#hotspotlife).
Most Important Things I Learned:
- Need to get physically away from a problem, if I can’t solve it
- Creating a ticket on stackoverflow shows similar tickets and better results than their search!
Things I Struggled With The Most:
- Timing – due to no internet at home/working full time, I feel like I’m about half a week or so behind, but luckily my last day at work is this Thursday, so I’ll be able to catch up
Changes I Plan to Make Next Week:
- Aim for 3-5 Katas (on Codewars.com) a day, I want to have at least Rank 100 by EOW
- Work my way through Chris Pine’s Learn to Program
- Trying the Pomodoro technique (which is basically working for 25 minutes without any distraction followed by a 5 minute break)
Other Experiences This Week:
Maker’s assigned each of us a mentor who we can pair with. My mentor is already working on his final project so hopefully I can put in some pair-programming time with him before he finishes. Generally, this is a great idea and it will give us the chance to programme with someone who’s more experienced and ask the 100 million questions that come up during the challenges 😀