All the Maker’s students have to fill out a weekly learning process. Throughout the course, the students use the agile methodology to reflect on their progress and their work in general.
So here’s what I’ve taken from the first week of Maker’s precourse!
Most Important Things I Learned:
- It’s okay not to be the first to finish every exercise (note: especially if you’re working full time)
- The command line can be understood! (even if it looks odd at first)
Things I Struggled With The Most:
- From the material – understanding grep and regex
- In general – working full time and doing all the prep work
Changes I Plan to Make Next Week:
- Strict learning schedule (see you in 15 weeks, friends!)
- Doing the optional exercises which I haven’t done yet
- Get going with Ruby!
Other Experiences This Week:
- Using Slack (our communication channel) makes me feel part of the community despite being unable to attend day-time learning groups
- If you want to pass the challenges, you need to follow the instructions to the letter – things like different file names cause the tests to fail
We covered a lot of material in the first week and looking back, it’s crazy to think it’s only been a week of studying – 6 days to be fair, since on the first day we didn’t get any material! I’m definitely enjoying it so far, despite my head hitting my desk occasionally. 🙂
Precourse week #2 here I come!